Stokes Valley Volunteer Fire Brigade is the proud owner of a vintage 1939 Ford V8 open cab fire appliance. This fire engine was fully restored by Maurice Bognuda and his son, Aidan. Maurie had been approached by overseas parties interested in purchasing the appliance. However, after some subtle arm-bending, Maurie agreed to sell the appliance to the Stokes Valley brigade.

DCFO Geoff Curtis recieves the vintage appliance from Maurice Bognuda and his son, Aidan

The brigade had been raising funds to restore an old appliance it had previously acquired, but it was decided to use these funds - as well as a greatly appreciated grant from the Community Trust of Wellington - to make the purchase.

This appliance started active service at the Lower Hutt central fire station as its Flyer (the first truck to turn out to calls). From there, it has served in all of the fire stations in the Hutt area at some point in time (including Stokes Valley). It is great that it will not be lost from the area and that the community will be able to appreciate a part of the fire brigade's history for years to come.

The 'Old Girl' is used as often as possibile to support local fundraising activities and of course, now she is fully legal, can be seen making its way down Stokes Valley Road as part of the annual Christmas parade. The Brigade is very lucky to have Damian Jackson amoungst its members. As an exceptional diesel mechanic, Damian spends many hours ensuring that the V8 is kept in mint condition, even with the limited funds available. We are VERY gratefull for the huge support that we recieve from Williams Mechanical (Damians employer) as without their continued support, the brigade would struggle to maintain this amazing piece of history.